Saturday, April 9, 2016

Strange Book Saturday: Boring Postcards USA

I'm introducing a new series of posts: Strange Book Saturdays!

In these posts, I invite you to gawk with me at oddball books. I won't write these posts every Saturday, but when they do show up it will be on a Saturday (or late Friday evening). Because I am a sucker for alliteration.

The preliminary "strange book" is a long-time favorite of mine: Boring Postcards USA (Phaidon).
Exactly what it says on the tin.
A friend and I used to send each other bizarre books we had discovered, and I think this is the first one she sent me (thanks, Cara!).

I spent three and a half of my college years in northern Indiana, yet I still never managed to cross a stretch of road quite this unremarkable.

Warning: You spend enough time staring at these postcards, you start to believe their claims. When I first saw this photo, I grimaced. Now, it actually makes me a little hungry.

The wonder of the book lies in the fact, not that someone took a photo of each of these places and objects, but that someone turned these photos into mass-produced postcards. What's more, some of these cards have obviously gone through the mail. I like to imagine the sort of messages sent from middle-of-nowhere America:

Dear Joan,
I wish you were here. But for all I know, you are here because "here" is indistinguishable from anywhere else.
In the moments between eating at diners dubbed only "Diner" and driving under the blue eye of a sky that never blinks, along a purgatory of endless interstates, I think of you.
Yours,
Jack

This looks less like a location you'd send a postcard from and more like the setting of a low-budget horror flick.
There's a part of me that desperately wants to take a road trip and find all the places where these photos were taken, to create a "before" and "after" series. Which seems like a waste. It's not as though there aren't many more interesting locales in the world, enough that I will never have time to visit them all. (If you'd like to learn about little-known, non-boring sites to plan a road trip around, check out Atlas Obscura.)

But Boring Postcards appeals to a part of me that relishes innocent delight in the ordinary. Anyone can see the beauty in the Grand Canyon. It takes a vigorous imagination to appreciate the beauties of the Gaines Truck Stop in Boyle, Mississippi. At one point, each of the places depicted here meant something to someone, was worth snapping a photo of or sending a note from. Even if only to say, "This is where I was today when I remembered that I love you."

4 comments:

  1. There's a lot of beige in these photos--makes me want to don a colorful costume, run into the photo and wave my arms around. But that would be a different odd book, maybe "Colorful Characters I Have Known" or "Relatives I Regularly Avoid." (Note the alliteration!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of the postcards, they seemed to have realized how boring their subject matter is and they try to fix this by inserting a woman in a colorful summer dress, but she just fades into the general dullness. Like a curse no one can escape.

      Delete
  2. The cafeteria tray mystifies me. Other than pie, coffee and toast with unmelted butter, I have no idea what any of that food is. Thanks for the funny post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's fish (with the scales on), potatoes boiled with something suspicious, pickles (with lemon slices? why?), and a macaroni salad minus the macaroni.

      Also the unmelted butter on the toast bothers me deeply.

      Delete